Sender:
From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:00:10 -0500
Hello all,

I hope people had a good break.  I am wondering if there is much to be
learned from this influenza outbreak?  I gotta tell you I am totally
confused.

I have been calling around today to try and get a flu shot, it is not an
easy thing to get. I always felt because there was a cost to getting the
shot that if I asked for it I was wasting health resources.  Now I feel bad
that I haven't.

Anyway, I have been following the media reports and I am not sure what I am
supposed to do if I get the flu.  The other day I head an advertisement on
the radio telling me to make sure I went to see my doctor if I had the flu
and also telling me there were now drugs to help with the flu.  But other
media reports tell me other things.

So, I guess my questions are what should we have done about the flu, is it
that good people got the shots and only bad (and cheap) lazy people did not
get the shot and are the ones that are spreading it around and causing the
giant strain on our health care system.  Then there is the question of what
to do if you have the flu, should you run to your doc as the advertisements
suggest?  What should we do about advertisements that may not have good
health information?

I know that this may not be a good topic for health promotion, but I though
I would share how totally confused I am.