From:
DKProj Mgt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 21:57:49 -0400
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:57:25 -0400
From: Chris Mohan <[log in to unmask]>
----------

Dear Colleague:

The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) publishes
the quarterly bulletin Alcohol Alert, a summary of research findings for
professionals. On behalf of NIAAA, I am writing to inform you about the
latest issue of Alcohol Alert¾ "Alcohol and the Workplace," which we
believe will interest you and your colleagues.

Drinking among U.S. workers can threaten public safety; impair job
performance; and result in costly medical, social, and other problems that
affect both employees and employers alike. As this Alcohol Alert explains,
several factors contribute to problem drinking in the workplace. Employers
are in the unique position to mitigate some of these factors and to
motivate employees to seek help for alcohol problems. Enoch Gordis, M.D.,
Director of NIAAA, states, "Researchers have begun to look not just at the
effectiveness of workplace alcohol programs in intervening in drinking
problems but also at the culture of the workplace itself as a determinant
in both drinking and nondrinking behavior of employees. This research is
providing management with a powerful tool for preventing drinking problems
as well as in identifying those who are at risk for alcohol problems."

NIAAA invites you to print a brief announcement about the availability of
"Alcohol and the Workplace" on your organization’s Web-site as well as in
your publications or mailings. You may request quantities of this free
bulletin for distribution to your members by writing to the address below.
To access the Alcohol Alert online visit NIAAA’s Web-site at
www.niaaa.nih.gov, where you will also find a variety of brochures and
pamphlets that outline effective steps to help reduce problem drinking.

All issues of Alcohol Alert are in the public domain and may be summarized
or reprinted without permission. Should you decide to publicize "Alcohol
and the Workplace" to your colleagues, please inform me so that I can
accurately track the success of our efforts. This exchange will give you
the opportunity to provide your members with information from the lead
Federal agency conducting and supporting research in the alcohol field. I
look forward to your response. If you have any questions or would like to
discuss other ways to reach your colleagues with this important
information, please call me at (202) 842-7600, ext. 237 or e-mail me at

Sincerely,

Christopher S. Mohan
Marketing Coordinator
NIAAA Alcohol Research Collection,
Analysis, and Dissemination Project

For copies of Alcohol Alert, please write:
NIAAA Publications Distribution Center
Attn: Alcohol Alert
P.O. Box 10686
Rockville, MD 20849-0686