From:
Michel O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 13:12:17 -0500
*** Sorry for cross-postings and re-posting (I know this letter has been
forwarded by Dennis Raphael to either the CLICK4HP or the Health promotion
listservs but I cant remeber which one) but this is probably one of the
most exciting thing currently going on to do health promotion at the global
level. Some very interesting comments had been posted (notably by Larry
Green) when this inititative had been announced by Ron a few months ago; so
let us hope that in the new year, equally interesting developments will
occur, especially from the IUHPE which, whith CPHA, was one of the
associations Ron was hoping to rally to this undertaking.

Bonne année 1998 !  Michel O'Neill ****

>Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 14:20:50 -0500 (EST)
>
>From: Ronald Labonte <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Here it is: MAI Letter
>
>Below is a copy of the letter sent by the Canadian Public Health Association
>on the Multilateral Agreement on Investments and the World Trade
>Organization.  I forward it to you for interest in your own work.
>

>>Distribution list generally: Jean Chretien (Prime Minister), Allan Rock
>(Health Minister), Lloyd Axworthy >(Foreign Affairs), Sergio Marchi
>(International Trade),Christine Stewart >(Environment), all members of the
>Commons Standing Committee on Foreign >Affairs and International Trade, Beth
>Phinney (Chair,Standing Committee on >Health).
>
>>Also to the Leaders of the Federal Opposition Parties and the Federal
>>Party Critics for Health, Environment, Foreign Affairs and International
>>Trade.
>>
>>>December 4, 1997
>>>

>>>Dear :
>>>
>>>On behalf of Dr. John Hastings, President of the Canadian Public Health
>>>Association (CPHA), and the membership of the Association, I am writing to
>>>you to express the Association's concerns that if Canada signs the proposed
>>>Multilateral Agreement on Investments (MAI), at least as currently drafted,
>>>the health and well-being of Canadians may be seriously jeopardized.
>>>Specifically, CPHA is concerned about the content of the draft MAI as well
>>>as the current process of discussion in Canada in relation to this topic.
>>>
>>>At the Canadian Public Health Association's Annual General Meeting held in
>>>Halifax, July 1997, the members of the Association approved a resolution on
>>>Promoting Health in an Era of Global Free Trade (copy enclosed with this
>>>letter).  At the CPHA Board of Directors Meeting held in October 1997, the
>>>Board discussed what action CPHA should take with regard to World Trade and
>>>the draft MAI.  The Board agreed to undertake action that would inform
>>>political leaders of the Association's concerns about World Trade and draft
>>>MAI, and contribute to an ongoing awareness program for the general public
>>>and membership through a commentary to be published in the Canadian Journal
>>>of Public Health. This commentary is being prepared by Dr. Ron Labonte,
>>>CPHA Board Member-at-Large responsible for the strategic area of health
>>>promotion.
>>>
>>>While CPHA supports, in principle, the establishment of international legal
>>>frameworks for investment and trade, we are concerned that these
>>>agreements, including the draft MAI, presently favour the rights of
>>>investors and corporations over those of individual citizens and the larger
>>>public.  We urge the government not to proceed further with negotiations on
>>>the draft MAI until the agreement has been subject to more rigorous
>>>analyses in terms of health, environmental and social equity impacts, and
>>>broad-based public hearings have been conducted.  I would like to take this
> [...]

Une tres bonne journee.

Michel O'Neill, Ph.D.

Professeur titulaire et Codirecteur, Groupe de recherche et d'intervention
en promotion de la sante (GRIPSUL), Faculte des Sciences infirmieres,
4108-J Pavillon Comtois, Universite Laval, Quebec, Qc, Canada, G1K 7P4.
tel: +1-(418)-656-2131 #7431; telecopieur: +1-(418)-656-7747
Courrier electronique: [log in to unmask]

Codirecteur, Centre quebecois collaborateur de l'OMS pour le developpement
de villes et villages en sante / Quebec WHO Collaborating Center for the
development of healthy cities and towns,
2400 D'estimauville, Beauport, Qc, Canada, G1E 7G9.
tel: +1-(418)-666-7000 #461; telecopieur: +1-(418)-666-2776
Courrier electronique:[log in to unmask]