From:
Terri MacArthur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 10:41:29 -0400
> Sorry for the repeat of this posting (I posted a message about a year
> ago asking the same question - sorry for taking up SPAM space)!
>
> Over the past two years, I've been working with a clinical trial in which
> I'm comparing patient education techniques in asthmatics, using emergency
> department admissions and re-admissions as a secondary variable.
>
> I've got all my data and I'm ready to publish - but I know each journal
> has their own specific guidelines. I'm running around in circles -
> there's just so many journals out there! I started writing to editors
> and publishers, but it's just taking so much time with everything that's
> out there! A few of you posted responses to my last year posting (thanks
> everyone!!) with a lot of web sites, but I found that most were outdated
> - the links didn't work, or they didn't have the guidelines on-line;
> etc. - I found that I was spending just as much time on-line going from
> internet web site to internet web site as I would be writing letters.
>
> Anybody know of a book I could buy (or get from a library - better!),
> wherein the journals might be listed with their specific "requirements
> for manuscript publication"?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> R.Zatina RN MN
> Henry Ford Hospital - Detroit USA
> (downtown West Grand Blvd campus)

Dear R.(Zatina):

Who said research was easy!!! I thought the hard part was doing the
project. It wasn't until I finished that I learned that the real work
began! (and very quickly).

I found this site from another newsgroup:

http://www.windsor.igs.net/~nhodgins

They're mostly medical-oriented and do stuff like web-sites and
databases (Thank God I don't need databases anymore!).

They have a nursing section and they've got a database of all the
nursing journals (with everything you need to know about each particular
journal) which works off-line, so you don't have to be on the internet
because the information is in the database (i.e. no "No-Such-Number" web
sites). I think they update it yearly to keep it current ('cause they
use it for their own business). Why I liked it, was because they had all
the journals particulars (esp authors guidelines) even if they weren't
anywhere on the Internet!

When I was there, they had a lot of useful links to more general
publishing guidelines & style requirements (i.e. like "APA Style Format"
and "Uniform requirements"; etc.) in addition to the more specific ones
for the individual journals. I think they also had links to doing
on-line lit searches too (but you're probably beyond that at this
point).

Hope this helps,
Terri MacArthur, RN, MN
School of Public Health & Tropical Medicine,
Tulane University - New Orleans, LA