From:
Marie Boutilier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 14:53:00 -0400
Several weeks ago I posted a query about resources on training
programs related to violence.  Thank you very much to everyone
who responded to my request.  Enclosed here is a summary of
much of the information I received.  It does not include names of
individuals as I did not specifically have permission to post them, but
does include organizations.  Also, we have not yet checked out
every single organization and website so this information is offered
here only as a starting point for others.

1.   The Addiction Research Foundation of Ontario (ARF)  has a
resource binder called "Link" - which is the link between alcohol use
and violence against women and children.  It is a training and
awareness package, including a video and curriculum  materials.
It is also available in French (le Lien).  To order a copy, please
contact ARF Marketing at 416-595-6059.

2.  The Canadian National Clearinghouse on Family Violence.  For a
listing of their publications go to their web page and click on "order
form".
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hppb/familyviolence/index.html

3.  At the Ontario Public Health Association  AGM in November of
last year there was a resolution  passed and  working group struck
in regard to violence issues.

4.  The Registered Nurses Association of Ontario may have
resources, especially the Community Health Nurses Interest Group.

5.  The Ontario Women  Teacher's  Federation may have
resources.  (Upon checking this out, we found it more likely that
specific local Boards of Education will have resources.)

6.  The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council let us
know that there are five funded family violence research centres in
Canada, located at: University of New Brunswick; U of Montreal; U
of Western Ontario; U of Manitoba, and Simon Fraser University.

7.  There is a counsellor/advocate training program in the Faculty of
Community Services, at George Brown College in Toronto.  They
have also coordinated a Ministry-funded curriculum development
project on wife assault.

8.  A curriculum guide for Nursing related to violence against women
and children that was developed at the University of Ottawa in 1993.

9.  The Ontario Women's Directorate coordinated some strategies
to address violence against women in all sectors (health, education,
justice, and police) between 1991 and 1995.  (On checking out
OWD, we found that staff were unsure of what resources they
could provide.)

10.  There is a CD-Rom available from METRAC, called "Preventing
Sexaul Asssault".  More info available at:
http://www.metrac.org

11.  There is a newsletter called "Health Alert:Strenghtening the
Health Care System's Response to Domestic Violence" by a  U.S.
NGO:
          Family Violence Prevention Fund
          383 Rhode Island Street,Suite 304
          San Francisco CA 94103-5133
          Web Site: http://www.fvpf.org

12.  The Duluth Domestic Assault Intervention Project (no address
provided) was cited as a leader in the US in terms of community

13.  There was a large scale U.S. project conducted by the School
of Nursing at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland.  The
project was a series of travelling workshops aimed at assisting
health professionals (nurses in particular) to gain the knowledge and
skill necessary to identify abuse and intevene appropriately.

14.  A newsletter feature on domestic violence in pregnancy
and prevention strategies is available at:
http://www.PrenatalEd.com/newsv2n4.htm

If anyone has any further resources, I would still be delighted to
receive them.  Thanks again!

Marie Boutilier