From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 12:55:33 -0400
----------
> From: Elizabeth Rajkumar <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]

> Perhaps community capacity-building and community development are
different
> points along a single continuum. Baker and Teaser-Polk (1998) pose the
question
> whether certain dimensions of capacity are differentially important in
different
> stages of development within a community, and across different levels of
> community. In the setting where I was working, community development was
> viewed as a process in which communities gradually expand the options
available
> to them, and by so doing, improve their health prospects (this leaves
room for a
> range of outcomes -- e.g., individual and community skill-building,
strengthening of
> community ties, and structural change (e.g., successful lobbying for a
supportive
> policy).
>
> ******So what?
> I'm not sure where all this leaves us.  Would be interested to hear other
views on
> this issue, which I believe has very important implications for the
evaluation of
> outcomes in community development initiatives.  Thanks to anyone who
managed
> to wade through this.

Hi all,

I absolutely love this discussion so please continue!!

A couple thoughts, having spent time with tenant organizing and working on
tenant involvement in the management of their housing, I can see many
parallels but at the same time differences.

"Who gets to set the agenda?"

Often I have seen people come into communities with a pre-set agenda.  I
find this very disempowering of the existing community leaders, who have
often worked for a long time on the issues that the community collectedly
set.  I have seen strong groups fall apart after this happens.

"Are we developed yet?"

CD implies as you have said Elizabeth a deficit and also in my mind implies
a goal or a state of development.

"If we get any more capsity we will explode"

Again, I have seen many community leaders with so many skills and
experiences that if they got much more they would explode.  Often their
problems are political and many community agencies do not want to support
groups to make political change.

Anyway those are my off the cuff thoughts, please continue, I, (like many
others) are fascinated!!

 Sherrie Tingley