From:
Cathy Crowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 21:45:28 -0400
>Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 21:44:50 -0400
>To: act.cuts.ont
>From: Cathy Crowe <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Homelessness:  A National Disaster
>
>Please join the Toronto Disaster Relief Committee in officially releasing
its call for all levels of government to declare homelessness as a national
disaster.

>Thursday, October 8 at 10 am
>Church of the Holy Trinity - 10 Trinity Square
>(behind the Eaton Centre, south of Dundas Street West between Bay and Yonge
St.)

>Moderator:  Ursula Franklin
>Speakers TBA
>
>Note: there will be an opportunity for you or your organization to sign the
declaration:

>"We call on all levels of government to declare homelessness a national
disaster requiring emergency humanitarian relief. We urge that they
immediately develop and implement a national Homelessness Relief and
Prevention Strategy using disaster relief funds both to provide the homeless
with immediate health protection and housing and to prevent further
homelessness.

>Canada has signed the International Covenant of Economic, Social and
Cultural Rights guaranteeing everyone's right to "an adequate standard of
living…including adequate food, clothing and housing." Homeless people have
no decent standard of living; our governments are violating this agreement
by neglecting them.

>Despite Canada's reputation for providing relief to people made temporarily
homeless by natural disasters, our governments are unwilling to help the
scores of thousands of people in Canada condemned to homelessness. Morally,
economically, socially, and legally, we cannot allow homelessness to become
"normal" in Canadian life. Inaction betrays many thousands of us to a
miserable existence and harms our society for years to come."

>For more info contact the Toronto Disaster Relief Committee c/o
>Cathy Crowe (416) 703-8482 ext 117 or [log in to unmask]
>Beric German (416) 964-2459

In the deserts of the heart
Let the healing fountain start  (W.H. Auden)

Cathy Crowe, RN
w: 416-703-8482 (117)
fax: 416-703-6190