From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:55:13 -0500
Hi Wendy,

From my point of view the 'best practice' for dealing with child hunger is
to ensure that the parent has enough income to buy food.

A good starting point is:

http://www.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/arb/conferences/nlscyconf/w-98-26es-e.PDF

A Glimpse of Child Hunger in Canada
Lynn McIntyre, Sarah Connor and James Warren
October 1998
W-98-26E
First Internet Edition, 1998

[a excerpt]
The difference in annual income between those who experience frequent
hunger and those who experience
occasional hunger is $5000.

The impact of the child tax benefit and the working wage supplement on the
number of families experiencing hunger should be monitored. The level of
social assistance should also be examined since over half  the families
experiencing hunger rely on this program. There is a relationship between
the mother's health and the experience of hunger, but the direction of this
relationship (which comes first) is not clear.

From:   Wendy Benson[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]

Hello!

I am preparing background information on the prevalence and best practices
for dealing with childhood hunger in Calgary, Alberta.

I am posing a few questions for this health promotion network.  Firstly,
are you aware of reports reflecting the level of hunger or food insecurity
in children or their families in Canadian communities.