From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:20:13 -0400
Hi,

Just wondering if information would be useful to people and can not
remember if I shared the information about the report from The Workfare
Watch project.

The report is titled:

Broken Promises; Welfare Reform in Ontario

And can be found at the Workfare Watch Website:

http://www.welfarewatch.toronto.on.ca/

Having done some of the focus groups for the project I must say that
nothing in my community work prepared me to hear the stories of people
suffering from deprivation under the current welfare rates. The report
includes a section about life on welfare that attempts to capture some of
that information.

I am thinking this report might be a tool for people.

One thing that should be remembered is that rates have not increased since
they were cut in Oct. 1995 but for almost all recipients their rents have
increased by the guideline of 3% a year and they (their rent) continue to
increase. For many families they are approaching the breaking point.

Sorry if this is a repeat of information I have already provided,