From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 12:19:52 -0400
----------
From:   Gourlay, David[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]

>I think the more relevant question Sherrie, is how can they NOT be part of
>the equation in addressing health issues ?

I think the point of social determinants is that you don't address health
issues but ensure that you are always addressing the things that determine
health.

 >I have always based any health
>policy related considerations on the fact that health determinants help us
>identify a problem to develop the solution and through advanced
>technology enhancing the quality of the research (well, at least in
theory), >this
>agenda should be quite prominent.
I am not clear what you are saying here?

> I work in local
>government at the political level and while we do not have the
jurisdiction
>over health or social services I would expect that any health related
>policy
>files are always based on determinants in allocating resources.

I can not recall but does Ottawa have legal assessory apartments?  Or
non-discrimination zoning for homeless and women's shelters as well as good
enforcement of standards for rooming houses? What about by-laws around
begging?

>I'd suggest to ignore determinants is to pursue a very destructive course
>and create a fragile environment for health and health-care practitioners.

I think to ignore determinants has a destructive affect on all citizens,