From:
Jean-Marc Dupont <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 12:12:31 -0400
Christopher Wood from Calgary asked recently about Canadian CHCs.

You may be interested in knowing (if you don't already), that there was
a movement afoot a few years back to organize a national association of
CHCs (CLSCs from Quebec, CHCs from Ontario, Health Co-ops from
Saskatchewan, and centres like yours I suspect from around the country).

The AOHC (Assoc of Ont Hlth Ctres) at the time took the lead in
organizing events and I think some form of structure was established.
Funds were tight and I'm not sure how the whole thing evolved. Your best
bet would be to contact AOHC directly (The ED is Gary O'Connor).

I may have a copy or two left of a book I wrote with my friend Ken
Hoffman a while back when I was with Health Canada called "Community
Health Centres and Community development" if you're interested. I'm also
trying to get permission from Health Canada to put it online. It
examines briefly the five concepts which kinda define CHCs in Canada
(1.Community -based organization and control 2. spectrum of primary
health, social and related services in one location  3.
multidisciplinary teams 4.emphasis on prevention, health promotion
education and ambulatory services and 5. remuneration of health care
professionals by salary or capitation, rather than by fee for service
method). It discusses how to operationalize CD approaches to HP in CHCs
as well. It's a bit dated, but a good primer.

I'd love to hear what happened to the attempts at creating and
sustaining a national association or even a network. Keep me/us posted

Cheers to all on the list,
JM Dupont

--
Jean-Marc Dupont