From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 12:39:51 -0500
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
   October 21, 1999

   Contact: Diane Tomb, 202.274.8004
   Tony Tijerino, 202.274.8064

   FANNIE MAE FOUNDATION RELEASES SURVEY FINDINGS
   OF TOP 10 INFLUENCES FROM PAST 50 YEARS AND
   FUTURE 50 YEARS OF AMERICAN CITIES

    - Interstate System and Dominance of the Automobile Main
                  Influence in Past;
       Income-Gap Disparities is Main Influence in Future -

   WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Fannie Mae Foundation released a survey of
   the top 10 influences on American cities over the past half century and the
   future 50 years titled "The American Metropolis at Century’s End: Past and
   Future Influences." The findings were first presented during the 1999
   Fannie Mae Foundation Annual Housing Conference in Washington, D.C.
   The survey, funded by the Fannie Mae Foundation, was conducted by
   Robert Fishman, professor of history at Rutgers University, and was based
   on 149 responses from leading urban historians, planners and architects.
   The survey found the interstate system and dominance of the automobile to
   be the most powerful influences in the past 50 years and a widening
   income-gap disparity in the future half-century.

   "The Fannie Mae Foundation’s mission is to transform communities by
   improving affordable housing opportunities for all Americans," said Stacey
   Davis Steed, president and CEO of the Fannie Mae Foundation. "In order
   to affect the future, we must understand the past. The ‘Past and Future
   Influences’ findings are not only interesting and provocative but also
helpful
   in achieving our mandate."

   The survey, commissioned by the Fannie Mae Foundation, is part of a
   research project that looks at housing and metropolitan issues since the
   passage of the 1949 Federal Housing Act.

   "We launched this research to better understand the influences of the
   policies, actions and events that have most powerfully shaped America's
   post-war cities and suburbs," said James H. Carr, senior vice president for
   Innovation, Research and Technology at the Fannie Mae Foundation. "By
   better understanding both the intended and unintended consequences of
   our policies and actions, we can make better decisions on issues that will
   shape the metropolis of tomorrow."

   "The American metropolis at the brink of century’s end is vastly different
   than what many experts expected just 50 years ago," said Fishman, who
   also is a public policy scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center
   for Scholars. "Early planners envisioned a clean, rationally planned
city of
   the future, free of longstanding problems such as traffic and poverty. The
   reality is much more complex. We built a new metropolis that addressed
   some major problems while simultaneously creating a host of new ones.
   The next 50 years will undoubtedly contain similar surprises."

   The following are the top influences in order of importance:

   The Past 50 Years

     1.The 1956 Interstate Highway Act and the dominance of the
        automobile
     2.Federal Housing Administration mortgage financing and subdivision
        regulation
     3.De-industrialization of central cities
     4.Urban renewal: downtown redevelopment and public housing
        projects (e.g., 1949 Housing Act)
     5.Levittown (the mass-produced suburban tract house)
     6.Racial segregation and job discrimination in cities and suburbs
     7.Enclosed shopping malls
     8.Sunbelt-style sprawl
     9.Air conditioning
    10.Urban riots of the 1960s

   Fishman said the single most important message of the survey findings is
   the overwhelming impact the federal government has had on the American
   metropolis. He noted policies that "intentionally or unintentionally
promoted
   suburbanization and sprawl."

   The Next 50 Years

     1.Growing disparities of wealth
     2.Suburban political majority
     3.Aging of the baby boomers
     4.Perpetual "underclass" in central cities and inner-ring suburbs
     5."Smart Growth:" environmental and planning initiatives to limit
        sprawl
     6.Internet
     7.Deterioration of the "first-ring" post-1945 suburbs
     8.Shrinking household size
     9.Expanded superhighway system of "outer beltways" to serve
        new-edge cities
    10.Racial integration as part of the increasing diversity in cities and
        suburbs

   Fishman said the surveyed respondents were in disagreement more about
   the future than the past. "Most foresaw the continuation and even
   intensification of the ‘urban crisis’ that has characterized the past 50
years.
   New technology in the form of the Internet made number six on the list
but it
   would have ranked higher if the likely impact of this technology on the
   metropolis were clearer."

   The Fannie Mae Foundation houses a renowned think tank that produces
   research, reports and working papers and sponsors research roundtables
   and conferences. The Foundation also produces two highly respected
   housing journals: Housing Policy Debate and Journal of Housing
   Research and distributes Housing Facts & Findings, a quarterly
   newsletter written for a general audience on housing and community
   development research, evaluation, best practices and innovations.

   The Fannie Mae Foundation – the largest foundation in the country devoted
   to affordable housing issues – transforms communities through innovative
   partnerships and initiatives that revitalize neighborhoods and create
   affordable homeownership and housing opportunities across America. The
   Fannie Mae Foundation is a private, nonprofit organization whose sole
   source of support is Fannie Mae. Please visit fanniemaefoundation.org.

   Please call Tony Tijerino at 202.274.8064 for a detailed
   written narration of "The American Metropolis at Century’s
   End: Past and Future Influences" by Robert Fishman. Also
   available is a multi-media presentation in CD-Rom form of the
   survey findings.

                        ###

   Home | Who | Home Buyer Information | News | Grantmaking and
   Community Initiatives | Housing Research | Innovative Partnerships | Site
   Map

   Fannie Mae Foundation
   4000 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, North Tower, Washington, DC 20016-2804
   T 202-274-8000 F 202-274-8100 E [log in to unmask]

   Copyright © 1999 Fannie Mae Foundation .All rights reserved.
Visit our Web Site for information about our Seniors Participatory and
Community Quality of Life Projects!  Free Reports Also.

  http://www.utoronto.ca/qol      http://www.utoronto.ca/seniors

  Long have I looked for the truth about the life of people together.
  That life is crisscrossed, tangled, and difficult to understand.
  I have worked hard to understand it and when I had done so
  I told the truth as I found it.

  - Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Associate Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101