From:
Sheilagh Steer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:20:19 -0600
At a recent national meeting we heard a story from PEI about a consultant having been hired by the tobacco industry to promote a program for grade 7-12 students in dealing with drug, alcohol and tobacco abuse.  Apparently part of the strategy is to approach the provincial ministries of education with the program and the money to support the implementation of the program in schools. Both the program and the implementation dollars come from the industry, but it is "hidden" through the middle-person (ie, the consultant).

This didn't ring any bells with me - I thought of Operation ID, but this sounds different.  Have you heard of anything similar in any other province?  If there is a new wrinkle, we need to know about it so we can respond appropriately.

Thanks.

Sheilagh Steer
Director of Health Promotion
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Saskatchewan
279 3rd Ave N, Saskatoon, SK S7K 2H8
phone 1-888-473-4636 (244-2124 in Saskatoon)
fax 1-306-664-4016
e-mail [log in to unmask]