From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:33:19 -0500
From:   Nancy Krieger <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [spiritof1848] concentrations of wealth ... (fwd)
Date:   Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:12:36 -0500

From: Nancy Krieger <[log in to unmask]>

fyi ...
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 21 Mar 2000 17:17:36 -0000
From: Common Courage Political Literacy Course

World’s Wealthiest in 1999
--------------------------
1. Gates, William United States $90 billion
2. Buffett, Warren United States $36 billion
3. Allen, Paul Gardner United States $30 billion
4. Ballmer, Steven United States $19.5 billion
5. Anschutz, Philip United States $16.5 billion
6. Dell, Michael United States $16.5 billion
7. Walton, S. Robson United States $15.8 billion
8. Alsaud, Prince Alwaleed
Bin Talal Saudi Arabia $15 billion
9. Albrecht, Theo & Karl Germany $13.6 billion
10. Li Ka-shing and family Hong Kong $12.6 billion

>From a recently released report by the United Nations Development Program,
entitled “Human Development Report 1999” (UNHDR):

   *“The income gap between the fifth of the world’s people living in the
richest countries and the fifth in the poorest was 74 to 1 in 1997, up
from 60 to 1 in 1990 and 30 to 1 in 1960.”

   *“By the late 1990s the fifth of the world’s people living in the
highest income countries had86% of the world GDP (Gross Domestic
Product)—the bottom fifth just 1%.”

   *“To sum up: the top fifth of the world’s people in the richest
countries enjoy 82% of the expanding export trade and 68% of foreign
direct investment—the bottom fifth, barely more than 1%.”

   *“The net worth of the world’s 200 richest people increased from $440
billion to more than $1 trillion in just the four years from 1994 to
1998.”

   *“The assets of the three richest people were more than the combined
GNP of the 48 least developed countries.” (Comprising some 600 million
people.)

   *“The assets of the 200 richest people are more than the combined
income of 41% of the world’s people.”

Visit our Web Site for information about our Seniors Participatory and
Community Quality of Life Projects!  Free Reports Also.

  http://www.utoronto.ca/qol      http://www.utoronto.ca/seniors

  Long have I looked for the truth about the life of people together.
  That life is crisscrossed, tangled, and difficult to understand.
  I have worked hard to understand it and when I had done so
  I told the truth as I found it.

  - Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Associate Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101