From:
Helen A Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 05:22:14 -0400
-- planning & research/evaluation
Book: Naidoo/Wills (2000) Health Promotion. Foundations for
practice. 2nd Ed. Balliere Tindall

-- implementing actions/strategies
CHP & Health Canada website

-- incorporating processes that are empowering, capacity-building,
participatory, etc. into activities/strategies

Community development literature, lotsa case studies, mostly
South African 'cos that's where I work and I figure we're living proof
of "empowerment"! For examples of case studies see the Health
Systems Trust website at http://www.hst.org.za/

-- identifying/defining/clarifying values, goals, ethical principles,
theories/concepts, beliefs/assumptions
Book: Seedhouse D (1988) Ethics: the heart of health care., Wiley,
Chichester.

-- identifying/defining/collecting/selecting evidence
Bandolier (http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/)
The NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination
(CRD)http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/crd/welcome.htm

-- developing vision
Report: Acheson D (1998) Inequalities in health report. The
Stationary Office, London.

-- developing an environmental analysis of health-related issues e.g.
identifying priorities, factors which influence the issue (including
socio-economic and political systems and structures, and psychological and
physical conditions), ways to address the issue, how to build on capacities
and minimize challenges
See below.....

-- developing an environmental analysis of organizational/work-related
issues (similar to above)
Cybernetics and systems thinking. Being comfortable with
complexity - health promotion isn't! I like the tensions and I find that
cybernetics and systems thinking have good complex models for
working in complex situations. For example: "Syntegrity" S Beer
There are many websites and books....this one is useful as a
source of info. http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/CSTHINK.html

Helen A Lewis
e-mail; [log in to unmask]
Fax: +27 11 647 2625
Tel: +27 11 647 2593/4; 011 647 2240
Address: PO Box 41, WITS, 2050
add: PO Box 41, WITS, 2050 South Africa

"Health promotion - making a world of difference"