From:
Liz Rykert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 15:03:48 -0400
Dennis Raphael reframed the concept of a learning community by stating:

>"We should be open to ideas, constantly enhancing our
>knowledge of our field, and being critical about what we
>do."

This implies the "shoulds" of how I am sure we all aspire to work. In
practice then how does it function going back to the original question...

>Having said that, I must tell you that I have been generally
>dissapointed with the quality and quantity of discourse on
>Click 4 HP.

Disappointment is a relative term based on personal judgement. Working in
asynchronous environments such as Click4hp, means there will be an ebb and
flow to the content and activity. I have come to see this as a pacing issue
in the context of other activities and projects on the go. Learning to work
with staggered dialogue, overtime, and across geographic and cultural
boundaries can be both a challenge and a joy.

There is also a difference between working in large public online workspaces
such as this and private closed venues where participants all know one another.

Perhaps this is one quality to examine of how a learning community functions
in a virtual venue.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Liz