From:
List Administration <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:37:43 -0700
forwarded on behalf of The Health Communication Unit (THCU)

> Can't view this message? Click here for the online version
> <http://www.thcu.ca/mass_emails/2009/2009_04_16_email.html>.
> THCU Presents
>   Skills for Health Promotion
>     Introductory-Level Workshops
> About the series
>       What
> Skills for Health Promotion Workshops
>       When
> June 1st and 2nd, 2009
> October 5th and 6th, 2009
> December 2nd and 3rd, 2009
> January 27th and 28th, 2010
>       Where
> Toronto, Kingston, London and Cambridge locations
> Registration is now available
> <http://www.thcu.ca/workshops/registration.cfm>. Don't wait! Limited
spaces are available.
>       Expand your health promotion toolkit for any health issue
> These introductory-level full-day workshops cover the basics of THCU's
recommended step models.
> In each workshop,
>     * we begin with an overview of key concepts and terms,
>     * then briefly address the 'why' and 'how' of each step,
>     * then bring the most challenging steps to life through
>       interactive exercises and small group discussions,
>     * then discuss "on the job" challenges identified by participants,
>       and to close,
>     * identify quality sources of  more information, tools and
>       personalized consultation services.
> Who these workshops are for:
> We recommend these sessions for
>     * Anyone new to health promotion seeking definitions, tools,
>       resources and organized approaches to practice.
>     * Front line staff that need to choose, plan, implement and
>       evaluate programs and services.
>     * Managers or team leaders who train or advise staff about theory
>       and evidence-informed processes.
> Note: Due to funding restrictions, registration priority will be given
to health promoters currently working with Ontario-focused
> organizations. All others will be placed on a waiting list and
> notified if space becomes available. If you have a question about your
eligibility for this workshop, please contact us at
> [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> or 416-978-0522. Topics
> Participants may enroll in day one, day two, or both sessions:
> Day One:
> Planning Health Promotion Programs
> Evaluating Health Promotion Programs
> Day Two:
> Influencing Policy Change and Development
> Developing Health Communication Activities
> Location and dates
> This set of workshops will be offered:
>     * June 1st and 2nd, 2009 in Toronto
>     * October 5th and 6th, 2009 in Kingston
>     * December 2nd and 3rd, 2009 in London
>     * January 27th and 28th, 2010 in Cambridge
> Cost
> Thanks to a grant from the Ontario Ministry of Health Promotion, we  are
able to offer these workshops for free to people working with
Ontario-focused health promotion initiatives.
> Registration
> To register for the workshops, please visit
> http://www.thcu.ca/workshops/registration.cfm. Don't wait! Limited
spaces are available.
> Facilitators
> Jodi Thesenvitz <http://www.thcu.ca/about/associates.htm#jt> and Larry
Hershfield <http://www.thcu.ca/about/associates.htm#lh> from The  Health
Communication Unit, and guest facilitator Larry Grand, will be
facilitating the June 1st and 2nd session in Toronto.
> THCU's workshops are available upon request
> These workshops, as well as all of our other workshops, are available
upon request for groups as small as 30 and as large as 50. Any
> coalition or agency can partner with THCU to host a workshop in their
community. We provide the facilitators at no cost and will work with
you to help organize and promote the event. If you are interested in
hosting an event, please fill out a service request form
> <http://www.thcu.ca/consultation/request_form.htm>. Please note that  we
require at least three months' notice to plan and deliver a workshop.
THCU's Consultation services
> We also offer consultations in Ontario to assist with specific health
promotion projects or challenges. Service request forms
> <http://www.thcu.ca/consultation/request_form.htm> are available online.
THCU Models and tools
> THCU's step-models are based on syntheses of health promotion
> literature, supplemented by our instructors' many years of health
promotion experience in Canada, and enriched by insights from our
participants. Our tools reflect our detailed understanding of what
practitioners need in order to engage in high quality health promotion
efforts. THCU materials and tools discussed during these workshops are
available free of charge on our website <http://www.thcu.ca>.
> The Health Communication Unit <http://www.thcu.ca>at the Centre for
Health Promotion
> Dalla Lana School of Public Health, 155 College Street, 4th Floor,
Health Sciences Building, University of Toronto. Toronto Ontario M5T
3M7.

--
The Health Communication Unit
Dalla Lana School of Public Health