From:
david burman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 00:20:36 -0500
CLICK4HP  members  might be interested to know of the duplicity and
hypocricy in Canada's trade with Mexico in the face of the massacres of the
Mayan people. This to me is a fundamental issue in health promotion, as
indicated in the 'charter.'

This message is forwarded from the econ-lets list.

>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 09:52:37 -0800
>Subject: URGENT..Chiapas: "Military advancing on all Fronts"
>From: ernie yacub <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
>        [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
>        [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>
>Please excuse the cross-posting and duplication, but this is an extremely
>urgent matter.
>
>I remember when Canadian delegations to other countries were about human
>rights.  Does anyone think that "Team Canada" will demand justice for the
>indigenous people of Mexico before signing any trade deals? Will they even
>mention the massacre in Acteal or yesterdays' murder of Guadalupe Me'ndez
>Lo'pez and wounding of a 3 year old child by the State Police during a
>peaceful protest in Ocosingo?
>
>Now is the time to bring pressure on Clark, Chretien, and our elected
>representatives to stop doing business with murderous regimes such as
>Mexico, China and Indonesia.
>
>Please distribute this information as widely as possible. Tell your
>friends, family and co-workers about the situation and urge them to write,
>phone and fax their protests and prayers right now.
>
>The people in Chiapas have managed to hold out for 3 years because the
>world has been watching and voicing its support for their struggle for
>freedom.  We must do more!
>
>ernie yacub
>laichwiltach/komeenook territory

>---
>
>Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 14:52:18 -0800 (PST)
>From: John Shafer <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Chiapas:"Military advancing on all Fronts"
>
>Protests: Prime Minister of Canada Jean Chretien - [log in to unmask]
>          cc: National Commission for Democracy in Mexico -
>[log in to unmask]   SISIS  [log in to unmask]
>

>For immediate release
>
>EMERGENCY DELEGATION FOR PEACE IN CHIAPAS
>Friday, January 9, 1998
>San Cristobal de las Casas
>
>Report on visit to Mayan communities of Acteal, Polho and Oventic, Chiapas,
>Mexico,
>January 8-9, 1998.
>
>* CRITICAL NEED FOR HUMANITARIAN AID AND INTERNATIONAL OBSERVERS
>* URGENT CALL TO SAVE LIFE OF MANUEL RUIZ PALOMA, DISAPPEARED 1/3/98
>* DEMAND A NEW CEASE FIRE ON JANUARY 12 -- ANNIVERSARY OF FIRST CEASE
>   FIRE
>* PRESENTATION AT THE ANGEL DE LA INDEPENDENCIA, MEXICO CITY,
>   SUNDAY, JANUARY 11, 12:00 NOON
>
>On Thursday, January 8, and Friday, January 9, 1998, the Emergency
>Delegation for Peace in Chiapas visited several Mayan communities, in an
>investigation of the escalating crisis in this southeastern Mexican state.
>There they observed firsthand the dismal living conditions of
>refugees displaced from their communities, and witnessed with alarm the
>intense military activity throughout the Chiapan highlands.

> [...]
University of Toronto           phone: 416-978-0536
19 Russell Street               fax: 416-978-8511
Toronto, ON, Canada
M5S 2S2