From:
"d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 23:35:23 -0500
Dear Mr. Mills: (MP Broadview-Greenwood)
Dear Mr. Chretian:

I have just watched the Fifth Estate on the CBC.  In this program, serious
concerns were raised about Canadian Tobacco Company involvement in criminal
activity, i.e. smuggling of cigarettes into Canada. There appears clear
evidence that Canadian tobacco companies conspired with smugglers in the U.S.
Their aim was to subverty Canadian government policy.  In this attempt they
were successful and all Canadians have suffered.

Again, it appears that the Americans, like similar instances such as the
Eagleson case, are willing to prosecute wrongdoing while the RCMP sits on its
collective hands.

Why is it that the RCMP and the Canadian government, which I understand you
are part of, is so unwilling to investigate wrongdoing by powerful forces in
Canada?

Can I expect that this government will investigate this issue?

Sincerely,

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Acting Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101