From:
Margaret Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 14:11:17 +1000
marie-claude lamarre <[log in to unmask]> on 23/12/98 08:40:07 PM

Please respond to Health Promotion on the Internet <[log in to unmask]>

To:   [log in to unmask]
cc:    (bcc: Margaret Smyth/HeadOffice/DHS)
Subject:  Fwd:ADVERTISEMENTS FOR DIRECTORS POSTS IN WHO

Sorry for cross-postings.

For information and dissemination.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Marie-Claude

*
*****
> [...]
>achieved through increased awareness of the burden associated with mental
health
>problems and respect for the human rights of people with mental and
neurological
>disorders; development of appropriate strategies, guidelines,
methodologies and
>instruments; and provision of support to countries for building up their
>technical capability to plan and develop mental health services and to
enact
>related legislation.
>
>Objectives
>
> To advocate for human rights of those with mental and neurological
disorders
>and to raise awareness amongst policy-makers/general public on the burden
and
>the need for care of these disorders;
>
>To work with countries to develop and strengthen their mental health
services
>and systems, particularly primary mental health care, so that it is
culturally
>sensitive, sustainable and effective.  Emphasis will be laid on
underserved
>populations and developing countries including the promotion of mental
health
>and mental health services for refugees from countries in conflict or
victims of
>natural/man-made disasters;
>
>To promote the development, improvement and validation of norms and
effective
>methods for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of mental and
neurological
>disorders, and to support regional and country applications based on best
>practices/policies.
>

>Qualifications required
>
>Education, and Skills:  Medical or other relevant health-related doctoral
degree
>and postgraduate qualifications in psychiatry, neurology or psychology and
>additional experience in behavioural and social sciences.
>Extensive knowledge of the programme area including management and policy
>issues.  Knowledge of mental health planning and related social and
educational
>issues. Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and supervise staff of
various
>backgrounds and develop a team approach to issues.  Excellent negotiating
>skills.  Ability to interact with national and international authorities.
>
>Experience:         Extensive experience in international health at senior
>level; including managerial and policy development, preferably with
>international experience in developing countries.
>
>Languages:          Excellent knowledge of English or French with good
knowledge
>of the other
>
>Please note that a test will be given.

>HOW TO APPLY FOR A SENIOR POSITION WITH WHO
>
>Candidates are invited to submit applications, including a WHO or United
Nations
>Personal History Form, by normal mail or fax to:
>
>Director, Career Development Services
>World Health Organization
>Avenue Appia
>CH-1211 Geneva 27
>Switzerland
>Fax +41 22 791.7773
>
>Personal History forms are available from the office of any of the United
>Nations family of organizations, or from WHO at the above address. They
are
also
http://www.who.int/per/vacancies/vacinstr.htm

>Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.

Marie-Claude Lamarre
Executive Director
International Union for Health Promotion and Education
2 rue Auguste Comte
92170 Vanves
France
Tel : 33 1 46 45 00 59