From:
Natalie Edmiston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:05:44 +1000
Martin and other interested listserv members,

It is a very interesting topic you are undertaking. Both what social determinants are related to acquisition of HIV and what determinants are related to progression and quality of life are really important.

It will be important to look at the social determinants from the view points of all the different groups involved. The determinants of ongoing health for men who have sex with men and who have HIV seem quite different from the determinants of health among, for example, women with HIV.

In Australia there has been one very interesting publication on this issue that I have come across. It is "HIV Futures 2 - the health and well-being of people with HIV/AIDS in Australia"  Grierson J, Bartos M, deVisser R and McDonald K, published by Australian Research Center in Sex, Health and Society.

The Website for the center is
www.latrobe.edu.au/www/arcshs

Another interesting site is the National Center in HIV Social Research based at the University of New South Wales
Their website is
www.arts.unsw.edu.au/nchsr/

Good Luck with the project.

Natalie Edmiston, QLD, Australia

Natalie Edmiston
Medical Officer
Gold Coast Sexual Health Clinic
Phone 07 5576 9033
Fax 07 5576 9030

>>> Martin Spigelman <[log in to unmask]> 15/08/2001 1:28:52 >>>
Dear List Serve members,

In recent years, the population health concept has figured prominently in health policy discussions both in Canada and internationally. This concept suggests that a variety of socio-economic factors (for example, social status, income, housing, early childhood experiences, gender, race, culture and access to appropriate treatment) have as much or more impact on one's health than does medical care and treatment. This concept appears particularly relevant to HIV/AIDS given its impact on the most vulnerable communities in our societies.

I have been engaged by Health Canada, the Ministerial Council on HIV/AIDS and the Federal/Provincial/Territorial Advisory Committee on HIV/AIDS to undertake a literature review considering the HIV/AIDS epidemic in this population health context. I hope to use this literature to address a number of important research issues, for example:

  a.. How do the social determinants relate to (a) the acquisition and transmission of HIV; (b) HIV/AIDS progression; (c) HIV/AIDS incidence and prevalence; (d) quality of life; and (e) life expectancy?
  b.. Which social determinants appear to be most significant? What quantitative and qualitative evidence supports these findings? What research is currently underway to expand the evidence base? What further research is required?
  c.. What jurisdictions have incorporated the population health concept into their HIV/AIDS Strategy or initiatives? What has been the impact of their doing so?
  d.. What interdepartmental and intergovernmental initiatives would strengthen Canadian efforts to address the HIV/AIDS epidemic?
I have been making my way through a good number of journals, monographs and web sites but have been rather disappointed with what I have found so far. First there does not appear to be very much focusing on population health and HIV/AIDS. Second much of what does exist appears to be very narrowly focused, for example reporting on a particular project or examining only individual behaviour.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you might offer and in particular any references to presentations or publications relating to HIV/AIDS in this population health context. Please contact me directly at [log in to unmask]  I expect the project to be completed by the end of October and once the report is made public by the project sponsors, I will endeavour to share it with you.

Thank you.

Dr. Martin Spigelman
Martin Spigelman Research Associates
3785 Kathleen Street
Victoria, BC V8P 3H7
Tel:  (250) 361-3663; Fax: (250) 361-3789
Email: [log in to unmask]

>>> Martin Spigelman <[log in to unmask]> 15/08/2001 1:28:52 >>>
Dear List Serve members,

In recent years, the population health concept has figured prominently in health policy discussions both in Canada and internationally. This concept suggests that a variety of socio-economic factors (for example, social status, income, housing, early childhood experiences, gender, race, culture and access to appropriate treatment) have as much or more impact on one's health than does medical care and treatment. This concept appears particularly relevant to HIV/AIDS given its impact on the most vulnerable communities in our societies.

I have been engaged by Health Canada, the Ministerial Council on HIV/AIDS and the Federal/Provincial/Territorial Advisory Committee on HIV/AIDS to undertake a literature review considering the HIV/AIDS epidemic in this population health context. I hope to use this literature to address a number of important research issues, for example:

  a.. How do the social determinants relate to (a) the acquisition and transmission of HIV; (b) HIV/AIDS progression; (c) HIV/AIDS incidence and prevalence; (d) quality of life; and (e) life expectancy?
  b.. Which social determinants appear to be most significant? What quantitative and qualitative evidence supports these findings? What research is currently underway to expand the evidence base? What further research is required?
  c.. What jurisdictions have incorporated the population health concept into their HIV/AIDS Strategy or initiatives? What has been the impact of their doing so?
  d.. What interdepartmental and intergovernmental initiatives would strengthen Canadian efforts to address the HIV/AIDS epidemic?
I have been making my way through a good number of journals, monographs and web sites but have been rather disappointed with what I have found so far. First there does not appear to be very much focusing on population health and HIV/AIDS. Second much of what does exist appears to be very narrowly focused, for example reporting on a particular project or examining only individual behaviour.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you might offer and in particular any references to presentations or publications relating to HIV/AIDS in this population health context. Please contact me directly at [log in to unmask]  I expect the project to be completed by the end of October and once the report is made public by the project sponsors, I will endeavour to share it with you.

Thank you.

Dr. Martin Spigelman
Martin Spigelman Research Associates
3785 Kathleen Street
Victoria, BC V8P 3H7
Tel:  (250) 361-3663; Fax: (250) 361-3789
Email: [log in to unmask]

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.