From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 18:10:45 -0400
This message is being sent on behalf of Mana Herel, who is experiencing some
difficulty with posting to the Click4HP list because her email address has
changed since subscribing. If you experience similar problems - please send
a note to the list-owners at
click4hp- <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]  and we will
try to sort it out with you.
    Alison Stirling
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello,

From my experience as a recent graduate with a Masters of Arts in Health
Education, and 1 year of post-grad school work experience, I would have
liked a stronger grounding in the following topics to prepare me for health
promotion practice:

- Social Marketing
- Policy development
- Use of population health databases
- Uses and limitations of internet technology in health promotion

I think that it is important to have the opportunity to discuss these issues
in a classroom setting with peers and I think that exposure to the community
and work with the community is important. If, however, the entrance
requirements for the program include experience in the community, I think
that practica may be of little incremental value.

With the shift towards population health and evidence based practice, I
think that one of the most significant roles that graduates of health
promotion graduate programs can play is to bridge the gap between research
and practice.

For this reason, I think it is important that graduate students complete a
community based thesis program to learn about academic rigor and research
design and the challenges in meeting the practical needs of the community,
while meeting the academic needs of a university.

I hope this helps!

K. Mana Herel, MA (Health Education)  mherel [ [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ]
Program Consultant
HIV/AIDS Policy, Co-ordination & Programs Division
Health Canada