From:
Jean-Marc Dupont <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 09:55:30 -0400
> Michelle Sangster wrote on Click4HP:
> ... snip ... I am working with a committee that is evaluating a media campaign on binge drinking that is targeting 19-24 year olds.  We are considering conducting an e-mail survey, and are in the process of contacting various college and university campuses in our region to see if this is feasible.  I am wondering if anyone has tried conducting e-mail survey?  If so, I would love to hear about your experience and what things worked or didn't work for
> you.

Hi Michelle and others,

Email surveying as you call it (which can also include having people fill out a questionnaire on a web site in your case I presume) is still technically in its infancy. The thing with IT though, is that childhood doesn't last very long as we know. Identifying your target audience is one thing, but making sure that they actually fill out a questionnaire is another. Same lesson as with print surveys by the way! Do you advertise in places they hang out in
(cyber or real space)? Are there links from sites you think they may be interested in? Do you advertise on campus? How? Where? There are also a number of tips for reaching students which are well known, including offering honorariums for example. I would strongly urge you to make a prize available to those filling out your survey -  like a draw. I'm not the expert in this area Michelle, but have had some pretty good success with online surveys on web
sites. This is an area we are hoping to continue to expand our capacity in as well. If you would like to call me to discuss, I will tell you what little I know, including what statistical software we use for data analysis.  Don't be discouraged. It's the future and even the present.  I'm sure there are others with more experience out there as well?

Not much, but hope this helps. Cheers all.
JM Dupont

--
Jean-Marc Dupont

Principal
The Alder Group
...promoting health and innovation

Directeur
Le Groupe Alder
...sante et innovation

119 rue York Street  Ottawa  Ontario  K1N 5T4  Canada
Tel +613.241.8755 Fax +613.241.8847
http://www.aldergroup.com