From:
Alison Stirling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 15:56:43 -0400
This is a good article for contemplating the breadth and impact of our work
in health promotion and links to health research at a local and global
scale.
Ron Labonte and Jerry Spiegel end their provocative and thoughtful
editorial with suggestions of principles to guide priority setting in
global health research. These principles might be well applied and adapted
to our health promotion work:

from
http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/326/7392/722?etoc

"Global health research outside a context in which policy makers, civil
society, and the media are engaged risks generating more knowledge but
little action. To minimise this, we suggest several principles by which
global health research might be prioritised:

* Research on inherently global health issues that reduce the burden of
disease, and vice versa
* Research that represents concerns or questions defined by developing
countries
* Research that increases equity in health outcomes between groups within
nations
* Research that solidly engages civil society, and
* Research that increases equity in knowledge capacities between developed
and developing countries.

"These principles guide the development of our own global health research
projects, with support from several of the Canadian Institutes of Health
Research (the national health research granting body)."

I'd like to see a similar list of principles for *local* health promotion
research - represent concerns defined by the citizens; increases equity in
health outcomes; engages civil society and increases equity in knowledge
capacities.

Comments?
[you can also see the responses to the BMJ editorial at
http://bmj.com/cgi/eletters/326/7392/722]

Alison Stirling
Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse