Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2023 00:06:03 -0700
8bit
From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
My interest is not so much on when the two men became acquainted but if
Rogers had ever attended one of Twain's lectures prior to their
meeting.  I have a very vague recollection that Rogers did attend a
lecture at some time.  What prompted my interest was Twain's lecture in
Titusville in February of 1869.  Rogers, at this time was partners with
Charles Pratt, Charles Pratt and Company.  Rogers was actually working
out of Brooklyn but still had strong interest in the oil producers in
Oil City, near Titusville.  Rogers had lived in McClintocksville, near
Oil City, from 1861 to 1866, and is known to have had business in Oil
City as late as 1872.  Oh well.  Just some speculation that such a
connection is possible.

--
/Unaffiliated Geographer and Twain aficionado/