From:
Bruce Michelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:35:26 -0500
With regard to the Forum's mission and possibilities, a few
perceptions we might want to think about:

1) Because the author we discuss together is not just any American
author, the Forum may need now to bear special responsibilities in
mind.  In times of war, cultures and nations often return to writers
traditionally and intuitively regarded as great, as sources of
national wisdom, as spokespersons for collective experience, as
companions in weathering hard times.

2) While various subjects and styles of literary discussion become
irrelevant in wartime, Mark Twain, as a subject, may intensify in
importance. This happened more than once in the 20th century.  We are
lucky to work with a writer who has memorable things to say about
war, the conflict of technological and traditional cultures, belief,
community, the coming together of diverse people in times of mutual
need and danger.  Because Twain is the writer America loves to quote
and refer to, we ourselves may have a role of stewardship to play.

3) As other dialogues shrivel in the heat of war, ours may need to
mature.   The Elmira conference proved once again that we have
scholars with character and class, scholars who can speak plainly and
constructively.  I hope we can follow their lead.  As new people come
to the Forum with questions and curiosity, and others listen in to
see what a Mark Twain community values, I hope we can share
perceptions and reason together in ways which bring credit to Mark
Twain, ourselves, and the humanities in the West.

Bruce Michelson
University of Illinois