From:
Liz Rykert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:36:06 -0500
Subject: Response to a posting
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 98 12:27:22 -0600
From: David Sands <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Health Promotion on the Internet" <[log in to unmask]>

The following was submitted in response to a message that was forwarded
to me by a member. Your processor has rejected it because I am not
authorized to post. Perhaps you would be so kind as to post it manually.

Thanks for your consideration.

***********************************

Can anyone tell me what the root causes of
disease are and what we need to do to eliminate them?

Please let me offer an answer from the perspective of Maharishi Vedic
Approach to Health.

In the classical texts of Ayurveda, the root causes of disease are
overuse, under-use and misuse of time, senses and intellect. This
expression means, with respect to time, and all aspects of our daily
routine influence our minds and bodies in predictable ways, and that when
we live in accord with the cycles and rhythms of nature, then every
activity supports balance (homeostasis) and good health. With respect to
the senses, the expression means that the senses are not overly or
insufficiently stimulated, and that the content of sensory experience is
pleasing and not perverted or distasteful. With respect to the intellect,
it means that the intellect can discriminate all the various thoughts and
experiences while still comprehending the unified structure of existence.
As perception, thinking and behavior are ultimately dependent on clear
judgment by one's intellect, prevention of disease ultimately depends on
our intellect. The intellect that mistakes sensory experience for reality
is said to be mistaken, a phenomenon called "pragyaparadha." It must be
epidemic today, judging by the intense materialism of people and the lack
of ability of most people to live in accord with natural law.

The principle solution to pragyaparadha and to the other causes of
disease as well is to take one's awareness from the ever-changing field
of perceptions and thoughts to the unchanging, stable field of pure
consciousness. This is easily accomplished through the regular practice
of the Transcendental Meditation(sm) program as taught though numerous
Maharishi Vedic Schools and Universities by teachers qualified by
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Twice daily experience of pure consciousness
brings thinking and therefore activity into accord with natural law.
Other principles from Maharishi Vedic Approach to Health provide useful
guidelines for daily routine, diet and behavior so that the effects of
transcending are maximized and good health is maintained. Living in
accord with natural law helps prevent disease from arising, and thus the
misery of suffering from ill health is minimized. Where health is already
compromised, one can obtain a consultation from a physician trained in
the detection of the imbalances that give rise to disease. Of course,
even the healthy can benefit from such consultation, because the
physician can detect imbalances even before disease arises.

I hope this gives some sense of why disease arises and how it may be
averted.

Sincerely,

David Sands, MD
Assistant Professor, Maharishi Vedic Medicine and Physiology
Director of Clinical Training
College of Maharishi Vedic Medicine
Maharishi University of Management
Fairfield, IA 52557-1152