From:
"Todd E. Finnerty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:41:10 -0500
At 10:17 PM 9/14/99 +0530, you wrote:
> [...]

sure- if this is what hes saying.

>>Mary Pat mentions "schizophrenia" in the same context as aids, implying
>>that it is a *medical* problem.  Scratch the surface of the majority of
>>individuals with this label and you'll find a history of abuse.  To
>>pathologize and medicalize individuals labelled thus is, in my view, more
>>blame the victim and not an ethical approach to treatment for those who've
>>endured abuse.  Of course, it's an easy "fix" and very lucrative for
>>psychiatrists and drug companies and if we continue down this road,
>>governments will - as in the case in the US - pay only for treatment if it
>>includes drugs.  Do we want to go *there*?

Well... that and treatment for schizophrenia is a lot more effective when
you use drugs, often helping to return them to a much more "normal" state
of functioning. While rallying against the "medical model" you commit a
cartesian dualism separating the mind and body; nature and nurture. We all
know that its much more popular now to talk about interactions. Likewise,
I'm sure the majority of individuals on this list aren't interested in a
debate regarding the origins of schizophrenia, but I'd be wary of any
individuals claiming that it takes x number of generations to make a
schizophrenic, or any single factor like abuse plays such an all-important
role, etc...

>>This is in reply to sasha's message
>As you correctly envisaged I am not for blaming the victim .What I would
>like to say is that self help is the best help and if flower remedies give
>us stimulus for change why not.It is also true that ultimate health
>responsibility lies with individual but after he is absolved of mental
>agonies which can be done by flower remedies.After this would come the state
>of consciously changing mental attitude without medicines.
>sanjay .

Sanjay, what exactly are these consciousness-altering, mental agony
absolving "Flower Remedies" you speak of? Can they be imported legally? Is
it prozac? *smirk* Can you explain what you mean by this a little more for
the folks at home? Would you "prescribe" these for any one with any
illness, for instance, and infant with aids?
Todd E. Finnerty
810 W. Mt. Vernon Apt. A
Springfield, MO 65806
(417) 865-0818