From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 16:40:18 -0500
NEW FROM GARAMOND PRESS
Canada's Leading Independent Academic Book Publisher

MEDICINE, NURSING AND THE STATE
David Coburn, Susan Rappolt, Ivy Borgeault and Jan Angus

This book locates the shifting inter-relationships of the Health System and
the State as part of fundamental changes in the Canadian political economy.
All health care professions are being transformed by the attack on the
welfare state. Nursing is challenging medical power, yet faces powerful
internal barriers and external constraints. State actions themselves are not
simply emanations from the interests of state actors, and must be
specifically described and understood. Medicine, Nursing and the State
contextualizes state-health care policy within the burgeoning literature on
globalization and the rise of business hegemony.

Contents:

Introduction: Health Professions and the State in Ontario

Professional Autonomy and the Problematic Nature of Self-regulation:
Medicine, Nursing and the State - David Coburn

Medical Dominance, Gender and the State: The Nurse Practitioner Initiative
in Ontario -
Jan Angus and Ivy Lynn Bourgeault

Pay and Human Resource Management in Nursing and Medicine: An Examination of
Gendered Structural Relations Between the Professions and the State -  Ivy
Lynn Bourgeault  and  Jan Angus

From Paymaster to Manager: State Structures, Processes and Medical Power-
Susan Rappolt

The "Logic of Medicare," Variants of Capitalism and Medical Dominance:
Contextualizing Profession-state Relationships - David Coburn and Susan
Rappolt.

Published by special arrangment with Health and Canadian Society/Sant‚ et
Soci‚t‚ Canadienne

$21.95          ISBN1 55193  02 6               168 pages               December 1999

Order from your usual supplier, or contact:
General Distribution Services Ltd. 416-213-1919 ex 199, (Phone)
416-213-1917 (Fax)

Or in case of difficulties, contact the publisher:
Garamond Press, 63 Mahogany Court, Aurora, On. L4G 6M8
Tel: (905) 841-1460   Fax (905) 841-3031
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
www.garamond.ca

Visit our Web Site for information about our Seniors Participatory and
Community Quality of Life Projects!  Free Reports Also.

  http://www.utoronto.ca/qol      http://www.utoronto.ca/seniors

  Long have I looked for the truth about the life of people together.
  That life is crisscrossed, tangled, and difficult to understand.
  I have worked hard to understand it and when I had done so
  I told the truth as I found it.

  - Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Associate Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101