From:
DKProj Mgt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 15:47:51 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:20:57 -0400
From: Paul F. Cataldo <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Alcohol Alert No.47: "Imaging and Alcoholism: A Window on the
    Brain"

Dear Listserv Manager:

A study in the February 2000 issue of Alcoholism: Clinical and
Experimental Research (volume 24, number 2) presents the first concrete
evidence that protracted, heavy alcohol use can impair brain function in
adolescents. According to Dr. Enoch Gordis, M.D., director of the National
Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), the abuse of alcohol
results in, ".the $185 billion annual economic cost of lost productivity,
medical, legal, and property damage due to alcohol misuse."

NIAAA is the lead Federal agency in the funding of research in the field
of alcoholism and alcohol abuse. The Institute publishes the quarterly
bulletin Alcohol Alert, a summary of research findings for professionals;
the informative journal Alcohol Research & Health; and a variety of other
publications for both professionals and lay people. On behalf of NIAAA, I
am writing to inform you about the latest issue of Alcohol Alert, "Imaging
and Alcoholism: A Window on the Brain," which we believe will interest you
and your colleagues.

This Alcohol Alert examines alcohol's effects as reflected by brain
imaging, which is now possible through the use of such methods as positron
emission tomography (PET), single photon emission computed tomography
(SPECT), and magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS). Dr. Gordis notes,
"Imaging technology has helped alcohol researchers to study how alcohol
damages internal organs, such as the brain and the liver. More recent
advances in imaging techniques are allowing investigators to also study
alcohol dependence itself..These innovations in imaging technology will
help not only the alcohol field, but also all fields of medicine where
biology and behavior are so closely linked."

NIAAA invites you to offer your listserv members the following link to
Alcohol Alert No.47, "Imaging and Alcoholism: A Window on the Brain":
http://silk.nih.gov/silk/niaaa1/publication/aa47.htm

Free printed copies of the Alcohol Alert may be requested in quantity for
distribution to your members by writing to the following address: NIAAA
Publications Distribution Center, P.O. Box 10686, Rockville, MD
20849-0686. Please visit NIAAA's Web site at http://www.niaaa.nih.gov,
where you also will find a variety of brochures and pamphlets and other
publications on alcohol and alcohol abuse. All issues of Alcohol Alert are
in the public domain and may be summarized or reprinted without
permission. Should you decide to post information about "Imaging and
Alcoholism: A Window on the Brain" on your listserv, please inform me so
that I can acknowledge your efforts. This exchange will give you the
opportunity to provide your members with valuable information from the
lead Federal agency conducting and supporting research in the alcohol
field.

I look forward to your response. If you have any questions, please do not
hesitate to call me at (202) 842-7600, ext. 368, or e-mail me at

Best regards,

Paul F. Cataldo