From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:58:47 -0400
SOBERING RESULT: THE ALBERTA LIQUOR RETAIL INDUSTRY TEN YEARS AFTER
PRIVATIZATION
By Greg Flanagan, June 4, 2002
This study concludes that ten years after the government of Alberta privatized
the province's liquor retailing industry, the decision has proved to be a
serious policy mistake.  The study examines what privatization has meant for the
province, both socially and economically, considers how the private liquor
market has developed since September 1993, and draws "sobering" conclusions
about the benefits and costs.  Overwhelmingly, the evidence points to liquor
privatization having resulted in significantly more costs than benefits to both
the people and the government of Alberta. The higher costs are social as well as
financial.  Despite some increased convenience to consumers, privatization has
had serious negative outcomes, including a loss of effective control over the
industry by the government and an increase in alcohol consumption.
This report is available from the CCPA web site at:
http://www.policyalternatives.ca

TARGETTING THE MOST VULNERABLE; A DECADE OF DESPARATION FOR ONTARIO

šS WELFARE RECIPIENTS, By Michael Oliphant and Chris Schlosser, May 28, 2003 Eight years after the Harris-Eves government cuts to Ontario's welfare system, Ontario's poorest are finding it nearly impossible to meet basic needs such as food and secure shelter, according to this study for the Ontario alternative budget project. Welfare rates were cut by 21.6%; since 1995, inflation has increased by 15.8%, making the real value of that cut now over 37%. In Ontario, the average rent for a two-bedroom apartment has increased by 24% over that period while in Toronto the cost of food has increased by 13% since 1999. Higher rental prices have been devastating, especially in the two largest urban centres: the GTA and Ottawa. The Daily Bread Food Bank in Toronto reports that the average family on welfare in the GTA spends 70% of income on rent. The authors propose that the basic needs allowance be returned to its pre-1994 level, and that the cost of inflation be added. Furthermore, the flat shelter allowance should be replaced with a rate that is variable by location and tied to the prevailing average rents in each city. This report is available from the CCPA web site at: http://www.policyalternatives.ca FRAGILE RECOVERY THE STATE OF PUBLIC SERVICES IN MANITOBA: SPRING 2003, May 28, 2003 The state of Manitoba's public services has improved slightly since they were gutted in the mid-1990s. But the recovery has been uneven, and it is threatened by the prospect of additional provincial income tax cuts

ďare key findings of the report. It found that, over much of the past decade, quality suffered in all sectors, and the accessibility of services was reduced, in part through increases in user fees. Some sectors, such as Education, are recovering well. But others, such as municipal services in Winnipeg, have continued their steady decline, and are now alarmingly weak. The tax cuts promised by all three parties in the recent election would make it much more difficult, if not impossible, to rebuild the services that were damaged in the '90s. This report is available from the CCPA web site at: http://www.policyalternatives.ca TELLING TALES OUT OF SCHOOL: HOW THE ONTARIO GOVERNMENT IS FUNDING EDUCATION By Hugh Mackenzie, May 22, 2003 The study provides a board-by-board and grant-by-grant analysis of the Government's funding announcement for 2003-4 and shows a shortfall of $1.4 billion compared with the amount that would be required for full implementation of the Rozanski recommendations in 2003-4. According the author, if Rozanski's benchmark updates were phased in over three years as was suggested, the analysis shows 2003-4 funding $666 million short of what would be required in the first year of a 3-year implementation plan. The study reveals that, far from implementing Rozanski's recommendations, the Government has rejected the central message in Rozanski's report--that a centrally determined funding formula cannot work if the benchmarks are not adjusted to keep pace with costs. Funding shortfalls relative to Rozanski average $712 per student in total, $340 per student in the first year of a three-year phase-in. This report is available from the CCPA web site at: http://www.policyalternatives.ca BECOME A CCPA MEMBER The vast majority of our work is freely accessible on our web site. But of course, it is not free to research and produce these publications. We donšt have access to the resources of the big corporate-funded or government-funded think tanks. But nor are we beholden to these funders; and this gives us the freedom to do critical research on controversial issues. This is our strength. But in order to stay strong we rely on our thousands of members for financial support. For information on how to become a member of the CCPA, visit our web site at: http://www.policyalternatives.ca