From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:33:01 -0500
Hello again:

Several people have written to me, wanting to know more about WISE's book
"Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health," particularly its background. The
message below, which I posted to the SDOH listserv, provides more info. --Ocean

===========================

Although the number of copies sold of WISE's book - Policies of Exclusion,
Poverty & Health: Stories from the Front - pales in comparison to the number
sold of Dennis' book, it is slowly, inexorably, wending its way to the
public, non-profit, and government consciousness. Given that WISE, a group
of people in poverty,  i) has no funding, ii) we haven't the backing of a
university or national organization, and iii) we published the book
ourselves, that we've achieved what we have says something about the book's
significance.

Getting people's attention has been exceedingly difficult, and yet:

A) We have sold 400 copies so far
B) Dietitians of Canada cites our book as a major resource in its 2005
report, The Cost of Eating in BC. They also recommend the book as one of
three resources for helping people become aware of the links between poverty
and health.
C) Those who have read our book have sent glowing (unsolicited) feedback.
For example:

- "Before reading this, I would have said I grew up poor.  But I don't know
the meaning of the word!!  This is a tremendously powerful work. All of
those involved have created something that will affect every reader
profoundly to the core. That's where the change will start."

- "I thought the book brilliant."

- "It moved me deeply. I learned so much more about the lives of women
living on social assistance than I had known before - it took me down to a
deeper level of understanding. I wish I were still teaching sociology - I
would assign this book. It tells women's stories in ways that no one can
ignore, and it drives home the major features of vulnerable women's lives."

The book has been cited elsewhere; we're hearing more and more people
talking about it; several health regions/authorities, and persons teaching
or learning in the health professions have purchased the book; and at a
recent conference, WISE's presentation drew some major attention.

WISE's work and book, in other words, is helping to bring the SDOH [Social
Determinants of Health] out into the open.

The book includes the stories of 21 women (some working, self-employed,
others retired, on welfare, disability, pension). The stories are written in
the women’s own words, and the book also includes two reports – also written
in the first-person and so from the storytellers' perspective. The first
report draws out the dominant themes found in the stories. The second
details the storytellers' recommendations for positive change, and offers
encouragement and advice to other women in poverty. Together, the stories
and reports contain surprises that challenge long-held assumptions about
Canada’s poor.

Research for the book was partially funded by Status of Women Canada and The
Vancouver Foundation. However, the production and subsequent promotion of
the book received no funding and WISE itself has no funding. That is, the
collection of the stories was funded, but getting the stories and reports
out was not. If you, or someone you know, would like to purchase a copy of
our book, please visit our website.

Bye for now,
--Ocean

Chrystal Ocean, Coordinator
Wellbeing through Inclusion Socially & Economically
http://www.wise-bc.org/
250-748-8093

TO ORDER: Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Stories from the Front
http://www.wise-bc.org/CVProject/book.html