From:
Braz King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 14:18:09 -0500
The message from Alana LaPerle and the response from Dennis Raphael
illustrate that within the field of health promotion, as in all fields, we
can be working towards the same goal using different approaches.  I'd like
to use this exchange to illustrate the way I see the two approaches being
represented.

Alana seems to represent a collaborative or partnership approach.  The goal
is to reach an understanding with the political leaders whether or not you
agree with them, find common ground and make change from there.  Dennis
seems to represent a confrontational activist approach where political
leaders are challenged head on and forced to answer for their actions.
Change is accomplished by generating public resistance to something that is
being done, or support for something that needs to be done.  Politicians
then have to change or lose voter support.

My opinion is that each of us must use the strategies that we are
comfortable with and the skills that we possess.  For some that means being
an "advocate" and for some an "adversary".  I would not take this idea to
the extreme where any means would be justified, but I do believe that a wide
range of strategies or approaches implemented concurrently is much more
effective than a one alone.

Any further thoughts on this from anyone?

Braz King
Managing Director
Smaller World Communications
116 Westwood Lane