From:
Alana LaPerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 20:50:04 UT
If people believe that my original note was intended to stimulate an
"academic" debate on health promotion strategies while people continue to
suffer, then let me correct that assumption. I have been frustrated by what I
see as a lack of action on social health issues because the advocates and the
decision-makers have been so busy squabbling that people are being forgotten.
For example, a recent study on poverty in Edmonton was dismissed by government
because the statistics were two years old and researchers used the LICO
(actually, half the LICO) as a measure of poverty. Both camps stood by their
positions and refused to look for common ground.

If fact, many important issues are raised by advocacy groups but they are
either raised by groups who have developed a confrontational relationship with
government and, therefore, are dismissed as hyperbole. Or the issue gets lost
in accusations and blaming. Yes, we need to call the government on policy
decisions which hurt or potentially hurt people but to consistently look back
and blame everything on cutbacks can have an immobilizing effect. I would
rather be part of the group that is in the game, working to find new
solutions, than sitting on the sidelines criticizing both teams and dreaming
about the "glory days."

To everyone who has participated in this discussion, thank you for sharing
your insight and experiences. Like many of you, I think this is an important
debate for people working in health promotion.

To Dennis Raphael, do not assume that I do not share your concern for the
plight of people living in poverty. For, indeed, I do. In fact, I work in
health promotion because I want to help find effective, sustainable approaches
to the social problems that plague our society. It is a case in point that I
felt you were attempting to belittle me, simply because we do not share the
same perspective. Believe it or not, we are on the same team, working toward
the same goal!

Alana