From:
Ronald Labonte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 11:51:48 -0500
Having finally come online again after the ice storms in Kingston, it seems
that I've missed much of a lively debate!  Perhaps a week of daily crisis
lends a certain toleration to what I've since read on this topic.  My first
thought is that either/or dichotomies aren't particularly helpful--as an
earlier writer commented on the good cop/bad cop routine.  I recall social
movement protests of the 60s and 70s, where a popular slogan was "one
struggle, many fronts."

I found Dennis' initial comments curt and almost dismissive, and imagined
them coming from an understandable place or irritation.  Apart from that, I
think his analysis is accurate.  Right wing ideologues do not warm to reason
any more than left wing ideologues.  (Another comment from the 70s:  How
many marxists does it take to catch a fish?  50.  1 to bait the hook and 49
to find the correct line...)  There may be those within arch-conservative
parties who recoil at their own leaders' social thuggery; these are
potential strategic allies.

I also sensed from Alana's initial letter that she was seeking some support
in determining what, if any, strategy might be useful in dealing with right
wing ideologues.  Those of us in academia or the private sector (such as
myself--and what a great line to use when meeting with more conservative
politicians!) probably have more slack to protest, express anger, be on the
more radical edge, etc.  Those in government positions undoubtedly often
feel torn between meeting their own needs, acting for social decency,
pushing at the limits of their own bureaucracy and wanting (if not needing)
to believe that some small chinks in the political armour of conservative
ideologues might be found and exploited.  On this matter I have a few comments:

1.      Get clear on your own moral values (ethics) and your analysis of how
political and economic power determines social decency (ergo health).  This
will help clarify when compromise works, and when it doesn't.

2.      Avoid using the language of the conservative or neoliberal right
wing.  It's all about economics (value for money, etc.) which reduces people
to calculating entrepreneurs and hides the moral nature of "social work"
(broadly defined, which includes health promotion) and social relationships
generally.  Its underpinning economic theory is also historically wrong.
Use a language of care, need, value and morals.  Always.  (If any list-serv
readers are interested, I've just completed a paper for the Hastings
Institute on Bioethics on this topic of "common good, ethics and health
promotion").

3.      When confronted by complaints from politicians or senior bureaucrats
that dismiss the angry protesters, ask them why they think the people are
protesting, especially when the weather's cold, there's no guarantee they'll
be listened to, etc.  It's helpful to remember that most
historical/political changes of any human importance were enacted, at least
in part, by organized groups of people protesting against, and passively or
actively resisting, those with authority.

Beneath the strategic debate seems to be another issue:  Where is the source
of the problem?  Is it with government?  I don't think that is the case.
Having come through the ice storms, and witnessed the incredible "community"
and civility that arises in crisis, when people self-organize, I am also
aware that this self-organization works for a short period of time, as long
as everyone is sharing the same particular disaster, no one has other
"regular" work to do and there is a public (government!) infrastructure of
workers organized to slowly patch everything back together again!  I've long
believed that "community"/government co-create each other, and that it's a
mistake to level our social justice criticisms against that vague thing
called "government."  Rather, let's talk about particular political parties,
ideologies and economic interests.

Apologies for a long message--I must be health promotion-deprived after a
week of bailing basements, building fires and checking on the neighbours!

Ronald Labonte, PhD
Communitas Consulting
29 Jorene Drive
Kingston, Ontario, Canada  K7M 3X5