From:
"Rusnell, Shelley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 14:53:15 -0500
Thank you for the heads up Dennis.

I wonder if you could be more specific on which of the attitudinal skills
that will be focused on during the interventions, are potentially
problematic?  This will be important information and I'll be glad to have it
in order to make alterations before we are up and running.

In collaboration with the school staff, we are using strategies outlined in
a manual titled "Counseling Toward Solutions, A Practical Solution-Focused
Program for Working with Students, Teachers, and Parents by Linda Metcalf
Ph.D currently a lecturer at the University of Texas at Arlington in the
Department of Education.  The program is, as the name implies, based on
principles of solution-focused brief therapy as well as other
competency-based models that address solutions rather than problems.  I used
these principles of counselling with favourable outcomes in my former role
as a Mental Health Nurse with the adolescent population in schools.  Metcalf
has taken the principles and developed a well-resourced manual for use with
groups of adolescents.  We would like to measure the health outcomes of
using this solution-focused program with groups of adolescents.

When we, collectively talk about self-esteem, are we talking about the same
thing?  There are so many spins on self-esteem.  Nathaniel Brandon, Ph.D C.
Psych in Six Pillars of Self-esteem identifies self-acceptance,
self-responsibility, self-assertiveness, living with integrity, living with
purpose, and living consciously as the components of self-esteem.  Constance
Dembrowsky has developed a model where self-esteem is a continuum; external
and internal self-esteem are the two poles.  Children start out with
acquiring self-esteem externally, but need to make a shift toward developing
internal self-esteem during pre-adolescence.  The attitudinal skills she
identifies as necessary to make that shift are
*       choosing a positive focus
*       identifying your own talents and skills
*       practicing personal integrity
*       recognizing its OK to make mistakes
*       recognizing that self-esteem has an internal source
*       Students in the program we starting will have opportunities to rate
themselves on a scale with where they are at in being in control of their
problem / vs the problem in control of them.  They will journal at the end
of each session what they discovered about themselves that will help them
move to a different point on their scale.  They will learn how to
externalize problems and be encouraged to 'notice exceptions' in a
classmate.  In this way they practice noticing competancies not just in
themselves, but in others too, so the sessions will be a time to share
successes and feel supported.
> *
*       At this point, I will sign off, anyone wanting more details can
contact me directly.
*       [Rusnell, Shelley]
Shelley Rusnell PHN
Burlington School / Youth Liaison