From:
"d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:19:11 PST
Danie Watson <[log in to unmask]>

has been working with the business community in Minneapolis
on poverty and income issues.

Dennis

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:26:13 -0400 Maloney, Anne Marie wrote:

> From: Maloney, Anne Marie <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:26:13 -0400
> Subject: Poverty.
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
>         I have recently started in a new position with the
Saint John
> Business Community Anti-Poverty Initiative and wanted to
share a little
> about my work and invite your feedback and suggestions.  The
Saint John
> Business Community Anti-Poverty Initiative began about three
years ago when
> a group of approximately 120 members of the business
community decided to
> become more actively involved in issues related to poverty
in their
> community.  Working groups were formed and through
partnerships in the
> community they were successful in learning a great deal
about poverty, its
> determinants and implementing initiatives directed at
reducing poverty.

>         Last year, in an effort to focus, a study was
completed on behalf of
> the business community.  The study identified the single
parent family as a
> primary opportunity for change, with the business community
becoming further
> energized. The recommendations range from the need for
changes in public
> policy to the need for increased support for specific
community initiatives.
> My role is to now work with the business community and
community partners to
> move the recommendations forward.
>
>         I am still at the learning stage and would be
interested in hearing
> from anyone who is aware of community groups who have taken
an approach
> which has included business leaders as partners.  As well, I
realize that
> there is a huge amount of information available regarding
the relationship
> between poverty and health and I am seeking contacts,
information, research,
> etc., from both a community and academic perspective, about
this issue.

>         It is an exciting opportunity for change and I
welcome your comments
> and suggestions.
>
> Anne Marie Maloney
> e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Our Web Sites have information and reports from all of our
Quality of Life Projects!
http://www.utoronto.ca/qol     http://www.utoronto.ca/seniors

In the early hours I read in the paper of epoch-making
projects
On the part of pope and sovereigns, bankers and oil barons.
With my other eye I watch
The pot with the water for my tea
The way it clouds and starts to bubble and clears again
And overflowing the pot quenches the fire.

 -- Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Public Health Sciences