From:
Laura Cerruti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:47:49 -0700
I am interested in knowing which editions (Mark Twain Library,
published by the University of California Press; Norton Critical
Editions; Oxford Editions; mass market editions; etc.) of Mark
Twain's works are being taught in high schools, colleges, and
universities today, and why.

If you teach Mark Twain, I would be very grateful if you could fill
out all or part of the following questionnaire (the first two
questions are the most important) and return it to me directly at
[log in to unmask] The University of California Press will be
using this information in order to bring better editions of Mark
Twain's works to the classroom.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Laura Cerruti, Editor

1. Book(s) currently being used in your classroom (please list editor
and publisher to distinguish between editions):

2. Why did you decide on the edition that you are currently using?
(content? price?)

3. Name of high school/college/university:

4. City/state:

5. Name of course:

6. Number of students enrolled:

7. Number of times course offered annually:

8. When you are deciding between a variety of Mark Twain editions,
rate in order of importance the following attributes:
a. excellent explanatory notes
b. original 20-30 page critical introduction
c. series of previously-published essays by outside scholars
d. authoritative text
e. book is "official" publication of Mark Twain Foundation
f. sample reproductions of facsimiles of manuscripts
g. appendices of passages that were deleted from text
h. illustrations
i. quality of paper
j. cover design
k. smaller, more compact size of book
l. priced below $15
m. priced below $10
n. priced below $5

9. Of the following works, which do you think is most in need of a
new critical edition: A TRAMP ABROAD, FOLLOWING THE EQUATOR, LIFE ON
THE MISSISSIPPI, PERSONAL RECOLLECTIONS OF JOAN OF ARC, THE GILDED
AGE, THE INNOCENTS ABROAD.

10. Can someone contact you to follow up on some of your answers? If
so, please provide your email address:

Thanks again for your time.
Laura Cerruti - Editor  - University of California Press - 2120
Berkeley Way, Berkeley, CA 94720 - note correct email address:
[log in to unmask] - new phone number: 510-643-9793 - fax
510-643-7127 -  http://www.ucpress.edu