Sender:
From:
Lorraine Fung <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:33:58 -0400
The other option is to enrol in the U of T MSc degree in Social Science and Health which will give you the option of writing a thesis. This program is in the same Department as the HP program and you may chose to take any of the HP courses that the MHSc students take as your electives. I recently graduated from the MHSc program with a major research paper, of which I have used toward policy development here at the health unit. MHSc students could produce publishable research as well.  The critical social science perspective that Dennis mentioned is something that is unique to the MHSc program and it has broaden my perspective in my work, at least in the area of environmental health promotion.

Lorraine Fung

Lorraine Fung
Health Promotion Consultant
Health Promotion & Environmental Protection
Toronto Public Health
277 Victoria Street, 7th Floor
Toronto, ON M5B 1W2
Phone (416) 392-6788
(Effective September 15, this number will be changed to (416) 338- 8078)
Fax (416) 392-7418
Email: [log in to unmask]

>>> "Duncan, Kerrie" <[log in to unmask]> 08/31/00 08:11am >>>
There is one thing about  the UofT program that you may want to be aware of,
you obtain a "professional degree" as opposed to a science degree (MHSC not
MSc) .  There is no thesis.  If you are someone who may want to engage in
further study I would suggest avoiding the MHSc and enrolling in another
degree program.  I think that some people have gone on, combining degree and
experience but I am not sure.  Dennis please correct me if I am wrong.

Kerrie Duncan