From:
Karen Serwonka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:15:55 -0500
----------
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Health care brigade
Date: Sunday, November 08, 1998 2:27 PM

gopher://gopher.igc.apc.org:70/00/headlines/104
/* Written 10:45 AM  Nov  4, 1998 by [log in to unmask] in reg.nicaragua */
/* ---------- "EMERGENCY HEALTH CARE BRIGADE" ---------- */

EMERGENCY HEALTH CARE BRIGADE TO NICARAGUA
DECEMBER 12-20, 1998

The Nicaragua Network is calling on all doctors, nurses, paramedics, and
other health care professionals to join our Emergency Health Care Brigade
Nicaragua, December 12-20.  The brigade will be based in León and will
travel to some of the most affected communities.  We will be working in
partnership with the Augusto C. Sandino Foundation (FACS), the local
emergency committees, and sister city projects in the region.

The extensive flooding caused by Hurricane Mitch has already led to a
massive public health crisis.  Outbreaks of malaria, cholera, dengue, and
leptospirosis are predicted.  Nicaragua's public health care system was
already devastated before the deadly storm by the IMF/World Bank's
neoliberal policies; it is unlikely that the people who have been worst hit
by the hurricane will receive medical attention from the government.

Please contact the Nicaragua Network at (202) 544-9355 if you are
interested
in joining the brigade or able to collect medical supplies.  We are also
planning a construction brigade that will go down in January.