Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:20:27 -0400
Carolyn and the list, read this information regarding Citizen participation
and the theory of Arnstein. My question is should this information be taken
in the context of health care education?

I am a nurse case manager in the United States and have seen that patients
need accurate information. Most people, even the most educated are very
99999999999999 when they become sick and want information that they can
understand and then put into practice to "get better".  I don't think that
the average person, can self managed him/herself without accurate
information from professionals. On the other hand, once patients are taught
and understand the disease process and have the tools to handle their
diagnosis themselves, many do self managed and do well with regular visits
to the doctors.  This is the basis of Disease Management and the goal and
mission of those who practice in the field of Case/Care Management in
various venues where high risk/cost patient are identified and "managed" via
a nurse, mental health professional, etc to cope with their chronic or
catastrophic illness or injury.

Thanks for this information and looking forward to your replies re this.