From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:26:15 -0400
Reminder:
Please forward to people who you think would be interested in attending
this free lecture in Calgary on August 29th.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Profit from Pain in U.S. Health Care:
A Warning for Canada

The Parkland Institute presents a lecture by America's leading health
care advocate, Dr. David Himmelstein, Tuesday, August 29, 7:30 p.m., at the
Libin Lecture Theatre, Foothills Hospital.  Dr. Himmelstein, an associate
professor at Harvard Medical School and founder of  Physicians for a
National Health Program, asks why Alberta is starting down the disastrous
path of for-profit health care.

"Health care delivery in the U.S. is increasingly dominated by a handful
of giant for-profit firms that are reaping huge rewards," he says.
"Meanwhile the number of uninsured people has continued to increase despite an
economic boom, rising dissatisfaction among those with insurance, and
skyrocketing health care costs.  Extensive evidence from the U.S. documents
that for-profit care is expensive, inefficient, and of poor quality."

Dr. Himmelstein is Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical
School, and practices primary care internal medicine and serves as the
Chief of the Division of Social and Community Medicine at Cambridge Hospital,
Cambridge, MA.  He received his M.D. degree from Columbia University,
and completed internal medicine training at Highland Hospital/University of
California San Francisco, and a fellowship in general internal medicine
at Harvard.  He was a founder of Physicians for a National Health Program,
and serves as the Co-Director of the Center for National Health Program
Studies at The Cambridge Hospital/Harvard Medical School.  He has published,
along with Dr. Steffie Woolhandler, more than 50 scientific papers, three
books, and many popular articles.

Admission by donation.  The Libin Lecture Theatre is located at 3330
Hospital Drive, N.W.  Pay parking is available at Parking Lot #14 (bring
$3 change).

The Parkland Institute is a research network examining public policy
alternatives in Alberta.

For more information contact Helen Corbett at (403) 246-8498.

-30-

Visit our web page at
www.ualberta.ca/parkland

PARKLAND INSTITUTE
11044-90 avenue Edmonton, AB. T6G 2E1
Phone: (780) 492-8558 -  Fax:(780) 492-8738
email: [log in to unmask]
webpage: http://www.ualberta.ca/parkland

Visit our Web Site for information about our Seniors Participatory and
Community Quality of Life Projects!  Free Reports Also.

  http://www.utoronto.ca/qol      http://www.utoronto.ca/seniors

  Long have I looked for the truth about the life of people together.
  That life is crisscrossed, tangled, and difficult to understand.
  I have worked hard to understand it and when I had done so
  I told the truth as I found it.

  - Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor