Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 21:12:48 -0500
In our region, we face some serious issues re depression, hopelessness and
suicide. A few years ago we began to set up community displays / info boards
in the rural communities. We have set them up in the local medical centres,
libraries and schools. Theses boards contain info on mental health issues as
well as addictions ( we have used info sheets mainly from the Canadian
Mental Health Association - CMHA - and the Addiction Research Foundation -
now part of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health -CAMH). The feedback
has been quite good. We have received numerous reports from parents that
they take the time to read these while attending school events, even if they
do not take them home. We also distributed a newsletter through the school
system to the local area. Our main concern was to keep the literacy level to
that of the target population. Displays at community fairs, school events,
parent-teacher interviews were used to reinforce the fact that this
information was available.

Recently, we have just begun the process of setting up information kiosks in
all of the local high schools that will provide info on suicide,  mental
health, drug and alcohol use, and other health info. This is also
followed-up with presentations to the local schools (we have a cooperative
group from CMHA, CAMH, and others) and in the community.

Peter Jones
North Victoria Healthy Communities Coalition

HP Coordinator
CMHA Peterborough
349A George St., Ste. 206
Peterborough ON  K9H 3P9