From:
Monica Bensberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 21:39:25 +1000
Hi Annie

We've been working on the potential of health promoting emergency
departments - where 7 of Melbourne's hospitals are implementing/integrating
health promotion values and projects into the usual work of the emergency
department.  We've developed a framework for planning health promotion
actions, so that both individual and structural approaches are taken into
account.

For example:
- Emergency departments traditionally provide patients with health education
at triage and discharge.
- Emergency physicians have been involved in lobbying and advocating for
swimming pool fencing, seat belt legislation and also raised the issue of
the extend of CVD with the health sector.

We've learnt a lot from the health promoting hospitals movement and are
emphasising organisational and systems development to support sustainable
health promotion in emergency departments.

If you'd like documentation on re-orienting emergency departments, I'm happy
to forward it to you.

Regards

Monica Bensberg
Manager
Health Promoting Emergency Departments Program
C/O Angliss Health Service - ED
Albert Street
Ferntree Gully 3156
Vic, Australia