From:
Karen Serwonka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 06:52:54 GMT
I recall reading some thought-provoking words on Eberhard Wenzel's website
(Maxim 2), and imagine they could come in handy for health promoting
organizations wanting to explore to what degreee their work is guided by
their values [or how work can be more in-tune with their values] by
distinguishing between intent (what we may believe in and hope for) and
action (what we actually do). It goes something like this:
     Hearing is not knowing;
     Knowing is not understanding;
     Understanding is not believing;
     Believing is not doing.

While health promotion espouses may admirable values (social justice,
empowerment and choice, priority to the common good, democratic decision
making, etc.), there can be huge ideological differences as to what these
values look like in practise.  It is also a huge challenge for ourselves and
our organizations to dig deeper than the jargon/rhetoric and to explore what
these values look like in practise and to what extent are we are truly
bringing these values to life in our work?

I propose a simple focussed conversation to examine what these values look
like in practice, to begin a dialogue on this subject.  I suggest beginning
by asking what would the work of an organization's work look like if it:
a) were working to advance social justice? {or facilitating the empowerment
of a community, or working to eliminate poverty, racism, etc.}
b) weren't promoting social injustice nor was it doing anyting to advance
social justice issues?
c) were working to block advances in social justice?

In other words, what does health promotion look like in the absense of
working for social justice? working for the advancement of social justice?
or ignoring social jsutice issues?  These are important but difficult
conversations for organizations to have?  Let me know how it works.

Karen Serwonka
health promoter