From:
Catherine Moyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 13:59:22 +1000
A number of contributions to the list have highlighted the exceptionally
high smoking rates among Japanese males and the longevity of the Japanese.

It is important to remember that morbidity and mortality associated with
tobacco use is dose dependent.  It is imperative that we do not assume that
the Japanese population has some protective factor against smoking based on
current information.  The surge in smoking uptake and consumption often
precedes the death and disease associated with it by around 20 years.

This is evident when looking at data for countries such as Australia
smoking rates have undergone a huge decline and are at their lowest for
decades and yet lung cancer is peaking.  In the coming years in countries
such as Australia we will see rates of lung cancer among females nearing
rates among males.  Men in Australia (like most countries) had years of
smoking experience before it took off among the females.   Female deaths
due to smoking will continue to rise while rates among men drop.

Developing countries where the tobacco companies have recently focused
their attention will see similar patterns.

I am in complete agreeance that life span is determined by a number of
factors, rather than by smoking alone, however the life span of the current
Japanese population does not show the full impact of tobacco related
disease and death.  It is imperative that before such comparisons are drawn
the nature of the health behaviour and its repercussions on health are
taken into account.

Catherine Moyle
Youth Anti Tobacco Education Officer
The Cancer Council ACT