From:
esther ssebbowa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 08:35:00 +0100
 --- Tasha Beauchamp <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I am impressed about that "HABIT" news letter you talk
about Tasha. Just looking at the summary it just goes
to confirm why possibly some interventions fail in
communities. Most of the time we as health
professionals mascarade in total "uprightness" and
"impose" on communities that we may not so completely
understand .Communties that existed for years with
culture , values , beliefs about the way life is or
should be.   Indeed health promotion or the new public
health now focusses on community aspects as well as
other issues ( 5 requirements ) and it is amazing how
long it has taken us to finally appreciate the
importance of this in what we do.It is not surprising
that we shall continue to echo the appalling health
indicators in indeginous populations further showing
us how "not very succesful " current interventions are
or have been . It would be nice if Judith`s compliance
work might indeed focus on the health care providers,
may be it already does , as well ( for example
instructions to patients if any on how , when , why
they are on medication, adequate time with the doctor/
 nurse, patient numbers per day , staff morale and
motivation for those handling the local population
e.t.c ) It is not uncommon for patients to be given
drugs with instructions written in a language unknown
to them and numbers stating 2 times 2 .Talk about
literacy!

 Dear Judith,