From:
sally gluckstern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 04:20:53 -0700
Hi I'm Sally....Social worker from Sydney....Intersted
in mental health from a public health perspective...
I'm currently in Ha noi for a mental health
collaborative conference...(Sydney/Vietnamese
pschiatrists)....My partner and I are making a short
documentary as our contribution....The conference is
very much medical model....most speakers are
psychiatrists.....I am in search of ideas and
inspiration about how to inject some public health
into this forum??? I know that sounds self
explanatory, however we are guests at a very
"psychiatric" affair...I applaud the
partnership...which has been developed primarily by Dr
Marie Bashir...a very insightful psychiatrist and,
more recently the governor of NSW....and in this sense
do not want to oppose but rather augment some holistic
health stategies......We have just interviewed a young
Vietnamese man who tells us people have health service
primarily through "hospital"...."when they are very
sick"..There is no community mental health
programs....as I understand anyway....There is one
psychiatric hospital outside Ha noi....but no mental
health act...people's rights are relinquished if
deemed appropriate by a doctor....and it does not seem
there is any governmental monitoring body to protect
people's rights....Anyway....After the conference I
will write more about this.........
Cheers Sally