From:
Bronwyn Holmberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 09:59:08 +1000
Discussion on how to address the underlying causes of  ill health for
individuals within communities is of great interest to me.  Knowlege and
understanding of the root causes of health are important factors no doubt.
However without organisational structures and politcal will, knowlege alone
does not seem to necessarily enable health promotion workers to address the
baseline issues.
My experience has been one of specific job descriptions. Funding for these
positions is very prescriptive and tied to measured outputs that focus on
the symptoms rather than working on the interactions between individuals and
their environment that either support or deny health[access to
resources,community infrastructure,opportunity for participation in
meaningful work, sense of belonging, opportunity for feelings of control,
feelings of a hopeful future etc - environment in the wholistic sense ].  I
am interested in ways that health promotion can move beyond describing
conditions to taking action on the barriers or enablers to health.
cheers
Bronwyn Holmberg
Health Promotion