Sender:
From:
Agora Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 15:05:12 -0500
Sherrie Tingley's posting is not a rant at all. It is a welcome and
impassioned argument for listserve messages with "flesh and bones" to them.
I agree wholeheartedly that we should "have respect for each other's work
and that we work towards solutions", just as a major cluster of
communication on the listserve should be "practical solutions, stories of
success, sharing of our struggles, celebrations of our successes no matter
how small they seem".

The only slight quibble I take with her fine comments is that I believe the
listserve should also allow for macro-level discussion of what can and
should be done to prevent the very problems that keep Sherrie and her
front-trench colleagues awake at night. Those interested in macro-level
stuff benefit greatly from the ideas, perceptions and often painful
experiences of Sherrie and her colleagues. Without it, macro-level passion
can lose its real-life anchors. Similarly, Sherrie and her colleagues can
benefit from knowing about, and bring part of, efforts to turn off the
hideous societal engines that grind out poverty, hopelessness, impotence,
guilt and rage among our fellow citizens.

John Butler
Markham Ontario